Friday 1 July 2011

Crispy Chicken & Sweet Potato Casserole

This didn't take a lot of thought, just a bit of faffing about in the kitchen, wondering what I could make with what we had left in the fridge. Mainly I didn't want it to take too long or require too much work.

I had a couple of chicken legs, a sweet potato and some green beans. Fab. I browned the chicken on the stove, then slung them in the oven with a bit of salt, pepper and oil at 180 degrees. It was about 40 minutes before they were ready.

For the veggie casserole I just browned some onions and garlic in the same pan as I did the chicken, then added cubed sweet potato and a few dried chilli flakes and left that to cook for good while, occasionally adding a little chicken stock to prevent it from sticking.

 
I blanched all of the green beans, drained them and then shelled the broad beans. When the sweet potato was almost done, I added a bit more stock and the green beans and left it to simmer down.

When the chicken was ready, I added fresh parsley and basil, a squeeze of lemon juice, salt and pepper to the casserole. 

It isn't gourmet dining, complex or exotic but it tasted good and was a breeze to put together. I must have done something right anyway, the cats couldn't take their eyes off it!



 

No comments:

Post a Comment