Tuesday 3 May 2011

Lammy the Lamb

For the last day of the holiday week, I ordered two small racks of lamb (3-chop sized) - here is what I did with them.

Even the cat was impressed...
The lamb was really easy, inspired by a Raymond Blanc recipe in "Simple French Cookery". First I pan-fried it for 4 minutes on either side (fat side last), then bunged it in the oven at 180°C for 12 minutes.

Meanwhile I made the crust from a couple of handfuls of breadcrumbs and some rosemary, thyme and plenty of parsley from the garden, chopped up really finely. A few drizzles of olive oil to bring it together and salt and pepper.
When the lamb was ready, I covered the fat side with mustard, rolled it in the breadcrumb mixture and put it back in the oven for another 8 minutes.

To go with it (as I had fresh vegetables in the fridge and so didn't want to use frozen peas to make Raymond's recommendation) I made some steamed spring greens and roasted cauliflower, the idea for which came from the lovely chef Steve Watts.

Just break up the cauliflower into smallish florets and lay out in a baking tray. Drizzle with olive oil, balsamic vinegar and/or lemon juice, season with salt and pepper, then sprinkle roughly chopped hazelnuts over the top and mix the whole thing up thoroughly. I also added a little bit of thyme. Cover with foil and bung in the oven, it probably worked out at about 20 mins before it was ready.

I hope you enjoy it, we (and the cats) certainly did.

Links 
Raymond Blanc's Website
Simple French Cookery @ Amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment