Sunday 29 May 2011

Lucky Unfried Chicken

When I lived in a shared flat in Reading we dubbed the offerings of the local takeaway "unlucky fried kitten". There was an eerie shortage of cats in the area and one time I swear I got a cat leg - it had a knee and fur on it. I think I stuck to chips after that. 

My husband's favourite sneaky, not-allowed-in-the-house, horrible treat is still KFC though. I hate it, but thought I'd make him a homemade version to satisfy his evil cravings.

I can't guarantee this dinner will be entirely cat free, ours went mental at the smell of it, but it is guaranteed to be made of chicken.


The coating is made of a cup of breadcrumbs and one of flour, with loads of thyme, basil, oregano and a heaped teaspoon each of paprika, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, white pepper, black pepper and a fair amount of salt.
Take the chicken and coat it in natural yoghurt, then roll it in the crumby mixture until utterly covered.


The wedges are just sliced up potatoes, coated in oil and pepper with a few garlic cloves. Both the chicken and the wedges go into the oven at 180 degrees for half an hour. 

Serve up with beans; I got the best tip ever from my friend's lovely Romanian husband, Cosmin - cook up your beans with a couple of bay leaves. Try it, seriously, you'll never eat them without again.

No comments:

Post a Comment